Sunday, September 8, 2019

Further South to Panama

    I caught a flight further down south to Panama City after my two weeks in Costa Rica and took a shuttle to my new hotel, Hotel República. The first thing I absolutely wanted to check out in Panama City was the famous Panama Canal. It obviously isn't flashy or exciting, but it was still pretty neat to actually see it in action and realize its great importance to international trade.

Panama Canal Authority: 55 Vessels Through New Locks in First Month
Aerial view of a huge cargo ship heading through the Panama Canal

    I was able to get a good view of the locks as well as the ships heading through them by going into the Miraflores Visitor Center. It doubles as a museum and gave some good information regarding the Panama Canal and its history. Overall, I was glad to have the opportunity to witness it at least once in my life.

    Another quaint little feature I enjoyed exploring in Panama City was Casco Viejo, or the Old Town. A UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2003, Casco Viejo held a lot of life in its mix of old ruins and architecture and was a very pleasant experience. Some of the attractions I visited within Casco Viejo included the Iglesia y Convento de la Compania de Jesus, the Iglesia y Convento de Santo Domingo, the Paseo de las Bovedas, and the Plaza de la Independencia.

Rainforest Discovery Center | Panama Travel Tips, Tours & Pictures
100-foot observation tower overlooking the Panama Rainforest Discovery Center

    Always looking to experience the natural side of things in these beautiful Central American countries, I took trips to the Panama Rainforest Discovery Center and Parque Nacional Soberania. Both were beautiful spots of wildlife and great for hiking. The observation tower at the Rainforest Discovery Center was an excellent sight, but I still think I preferred the far more extensive hiking trails present at Parque Nacional Soberania. These highlights concluded my trip to Panama as I prepared for the next country I'd travel to.

No comments:

Post a Comment