Sunday, July 14, 2019

Another Two Weeks in Mexico

    I spent my last day in Mexico City eating that sweet sweet street food breakfast and wandering around before hopping on a midday flight Mérida, Mexico through Volaris. I chose Mérida as my second destination because of the Mayan and colonial history represented there which was very interesting to me. I checked in at Hotel Kuklin and spent the rest of the day walking around and admiring the city's architecture. 

The Pleasures of Merida, Mexico - Photo Journeys
Plaza Grande, Mérida's colorful central square

    The place I spent the most time at during my time in Mérida was the Plaza Grande (only a 20-minute walk from my hotel) where dancing, shows, craft fairs, and many other events took place almost daily. I even joined a free walking tour in the morning after I got there on Wednesday at 9:30 AM. This was truly my favorite part of staying in Mérida and where I spent most of my evenings.

    I was very interesting in the Mayan history near the city so I first visited the Gran Museo del Mundo, a museum dedicated to historical and present-day Mayan culture. Before that, however, I did rent a car so I would be able to visit all the Mayan ruins I would like with all the time I need as opposed to taking a scheduled tour.

CENOTE X BATUN, SN ANTONIO MULIX - a gallery on Flickr
Cenote X'batun, a beautiful natural pool south of Mérida

    I visited Dzibilchaltún, Mayapán, Kabah, Sayil, Labna, X'Lapal, the Loltún cave, and of course the most important Uxmal. All of the sites were truly amazing to visit and get a taste of Mayan history. I also visited Cenote X'batun which may have been the most stunningly beautiful pool I've ever swam in in my life. Heading there on a weekday definitely let me make the most of it with an almost nonexistent crowd.

    Overall, I had a great time in my two weeks at Mérida with all the Mayan historical sites and the fun evenings at Plaza Grande.

No comments:

Post a Comment